NOTE: Our physical address is: 18443 Mac Nab Cypress Road. However, please call us for directions or use the directions listed here, as our Mailing address is 14618 Tyler Foote Road. You do not want to use your GPS past our Mailing address of 14618 Tyler Foote. Please do use our directions after that point. Using our physical address with GPS or internet maps will lead you astray as we are off the grid!
By Air, Bus, or Train
From the Bay Area (Special Offer!)
Looking for a retreat, but tired of fighting Bay Area traffic? We’re making a limited-time offer that lets you leave your car at home and have a relaxing trip as well as retreat. It works this way:
1) Take the Capitol Corridor Amtrak #536 on Friday morning, arriving in Auburn at 2pm (~$40 one way).
2) Transfer to the Gold Country Stage #5 which arrives in Grass Valley at 2:50pm ($3 one way).
3) We pick you up in Grass Valley and drive you to the Meditation Retreat ($30 one way).
The only glitch is that the Gold Country Stage doesn’t run on the weekends, so you’ll need to spend Sunday evening at the Retreat (not a bad option!). We’ll get you to the 9am bus on Monday which connects with the Amtrak train that arrives in the Bay Area around 2pm. Contact us for details.
From Sacramento or Reno
Fly into Sacramento or Reno, or take an Amtrak train & bus to Nevada City. Call the Super Shuttle (Blue Van) at (530)-432-3235, for shuttle service to and from the Ananda Meditation Retreat. Be sure to mention that you are going to the Ananda Retreat that is 5 miles further past the Expanding Light retreat and Ananda Village. Round-trip shuttle costs are “subject to change” and are approximately $165 ($100 one way) from Sacramento and $75 ($45 one way) from Nevada City. From Reno, it’s approximately $210 for a one-way shuttle!
These prices may vary according to time and season.
The Meditation Retreat is a little over two hours from Sacramento and about two hours and twenty minutes from Reno.
Take I-80 east to the town of Auburn, then Highway 49 north to Grass Valley/Nevada City (turn left onto Hwy 49 after you exit I-80). Stay on Hwy 49 through Grass Valley and Nevada City.
As you pass through Nevada City on Hwy 49:
- Take the left turn at the large sign which says “49 to Downieville”
- After 10.5 miles, look for a brown state park sign on the right that reads “Malakoff Diggins”. There, you will turn right onto Tyler Foote Road.
- After driving for about 4.7 miles on Tyler Foote Road, you will see the large “Ananda Village” sign on the left. Continue PAST Ananda Village on Tyler Foote Road for another 3.0 miles.
- Look for a bright yellow “curves ahead” sign, followed by two bright yellow “school crossing” signs on the right for Grizzly Hill School. Make a right turn immediately after these signs onto Jackass Flats Rd.
- Follow this gravel road for 2.2 miles.
- Turn left up the hill at the small brown “Ananda” sign that is low to the ground and marked with two red reflectors. (there is also a large green sign which says “Macnab Cypress Road” on a tree just inside the entrance road to the Retreat).
- Continue 0.6 miles up the hill to the main parking area past the sign for the Ananda Meditation Retreat. After you park your car and walk through the gate, the office is the building just on to your right.
(two hours & 20 minutes)
Take I-80 west to Hwy 20, then Hwy 20 west for about 30 minutes to Hwy 49. Turn right on Hwy 49 toward Downieville, and follow directions above.
From the Northwest
Take I-5 south to Williams, Calif., then Hwy 20 east to Grass Valley, where Hwy 20 joins Hwy 49. Take Hwy 49/20 north to Nevada City and follow directions above.