Please use the directions listed here. GPS and internet maps are not always correct and phone reception is poor.
Directions By Car
From Sacramento (1.5 Hours)
Take I-80 east to the town of Auburn, then Highway 49 north to Grass Valley/Nevada City (turn left onto Hwy 49 after you exit I-80). Stay on Hwy 49 through Grass Valley and Nevada City. As you pass through Nevada City on Hwy 49: Take the left turn at the large sign which says “49 to Downieville” and follow the general directions below.
From Reno (2.5 Hours)
Take I-80 west to Hwy 20, then Hwy 20 west for about 30 minutes to Hwy 49. Turn right on Hwy 49 toward Downieville, and follow the general directions below.
From the Northwest
Take I-5 south to Williams, Calif., then Hwy 20 east to Grass Valley, where Hwy 20 joins Hwy 49. Take Hwy 49/20 north to Nevada City. As you pass through Nevada City on Hwy 49: Take the left turn at the large sign which says “49 to Downieville” and follow the general directions below.
- 10.5 miles after turning toward Downieville, look for a brown state park sign on the right that reads “Malakoff Diggins”. There, you will turn right onto Tyler Foote Road.
- After driving for about 4.7 miles on Tyler Foote Road, you will see the large “Ananda Village” sign on the left. Continue PAST Ananda Village on Tyler Foote Road for another 3.0 miles.
- Look for a bright yellow “curves ahead” sign, followed by two bright yellow “school crossing” signs on the right for Grizzly Hill School. Make a right turn immediately after these signs onto Jackass Flats Rd.
- Follow this gravel road for 2.2 miles.
- Turn left up the hill at the small brown “Ananda” sign that is low to the ground and marked with two red reflectors. (there is also a large green sign which says “Macnab Cypress Road” on a tree just inside the entrance road to the Retreat).
- Continue 0.6 miles up the hill to the main parking area past the sign for the Ananda Meditation Retreat. After you park your car and walk through the gate, the office is the building just on to your right.
I highly recommend using the Amtrack Train Capital Corridor from the Bay Area to the Ananda Retreat. It beats driving and removes all the stress and angst associated with driving. I started relaxing right away once I boarded the train and started reading the Bhagavad Gita; it put me in the right frame of mind. Please try the Amtrak train and bus option and have someone from Ananda Retreat pick you up from the Colfax Train Station. – Veuki Ramadraudrum, San Jose, CA