The Ananda Meditation Retreat in Nevada City, California is an intimate spiritual center located on 80 pristine acres of forested land. It lies adjacent to the Inimim Forest along the San Juan Ridge in the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. The Retreat is located 25 miles northeast of downtown Nevada City where prospectors converged from all corners of the world during one of the most pivotal moments in American History, the California Gold Rush of 1849. Sacramento is two hours to the southwest and Lake Tahoe is 90 minutes to the east.
The Retreat sits on a hilltop that was known as sacred ground for the indigenous people of the Sierras, the Maidu Indians. The Retreat has been in operation for more than 44 years as a hermitage and during the early 1960’s, was the original site of the Ananda Community, which has grown to be one of the largest and best known intentional spiritual communities in the world. The Ananda Worldwide Brotherhood Community of Nevada City is now located 5 miles south of the Retreat. The Retreat resonates with the legacy of the Ananda Community and continues to attract spiritual seekers, honoring their journeys no matter what religion or paths they follow.
What You Will Find Here:
- A facility open year-round that provides an optimal setting for individuals or groups coming for retreat, seclusion, educational, or special programs. Nevada City is one of the few counties in California that have all four seasons. We have mountain weather with a warm fall, wet spring, and occasional winter snowfall.
- Comfortable, rustic bungalows, dormitories, and deluxe cabins with accommodations for 2-5 people per unit.
- A large dining hall where three (3) delicious vegetarian meals are served daily that include organic produce and eggs; homemade baked breads and locally sold favorites — Orange Almond and Cashew Date Granola. We also accommodate gluten free and vegan diets.
- Ponds and sitting areas, groomed paths and universal shrines throughout beautiful gardens with plants and trees ranging from native Manzanita, Black Oak and Ponderosa Pine to a variety of flowers and botanicals including Peonies, Roses, Lavender, and Clary Sage.
- Several miles of wilderness trails just outside the parameters of the Retreat where the old and new growth forest is home to fox, raccoon, mule deer, and black-tailed hare. For bird lovers, there are Humming Birds in route from Mexico, Western Tannengers, Orioles, and more. Some trails provide access to the south and middle forks of the Yuba River.
- A beautiful domed ‘Temple of All Religions’ for meditation, special programs, services and concerts.
- An art room available for classes, group activities or independent projects.
The Ananda Meditation Retreat was recently featured in the American Airlines inflight magazine, American Way. CLICK HERE to read the article.